A small buzzing town, called Canmore, Alberta in the Rocky Mountains breeds world-class athletes and individuals who strive for the better of the world. Growing up with these role models has fuelled my passion for active living, compassion for others and dedication to achieve what you set forth. I have learnt through my journey full of belly laughs, worldwide travels and dedication to my education: that being genuinely interested and determined to achieve my goals will make the process a lasting worthwhile experience.

At the age of 17, six months after graduating from high school I joined twenty other like-minded surfers on a ten-week surf trip along the East Coast of South Africa. From Cape Town to Durban we surfed, laughed, made lifelong friends and helped in local communities. Teaching local kids how to surf brought me back to the reason why I was there, the pure joy of sliding on a board in the ocean. It can bring two different worlds together to share big smiles and a lot of laughter.

Being part of a small population of female surfers on Vancouver Island, as well as attending the University of Victoria, has opened my eyes to the communities that bring me joy and opportunities for education in and out of a classroom. This fuelled me to follow a Sport and Exercise Science field and return to UVIC to study primary education. The feelings of helping others achieve one of their goals through surf instructing, coaching or volunteering has had a lasting impression on me. The satisfaction of learning something new has made me hungry to explore and study more.